Friday, August 15, 2008

Memories of Nana

When I arrived home from school today, my mom told me that Nana passed away this morning! I am so thankful that she has walked through those golden gates and can now live a life of happiness with all of the memories she once had. Today has been very hard for me because I have constantly thought back to all of the memories I was blessed to have with her. I am deeply saddened that she was never able to meet Ella, a great-granddaughter I know she would have LOVED!!! So as I cope with the loss of Nana, I want to list some of my fondest memories of her that come to mind.
  • Her wonderful cooking... We used to always go to her house on Sunday afternoon for lunch
  • Sleepovers at her house
  • Watching baseball with her
  • Listening to the scanner and always hearing her say, "Oh, that's just around the corner!" I would be so scared.
  • Walking to the bowling alley and bowling whenever we wanted to
  • My yearly batch of fudge for Christmas
  • Hearing country music blaring throughout her house
  • Taking her to see Christmas lights each year once I began driving
  • Her amazing hugs
  • Hearing her fuss at my daddy
  • The love that she had for animals especially birds...which by the way I do not like
  • Hearing her and Brian discuss and fuss about the Braves when they weren't doing well
  • Going to see her at the small restaurant she worked at up the street
  • Having my friends spend the night with her
  • Hearing her insist that EVERYONE call her "Nana"
  • Her homemade biscuits
  • Brushing her hair when she got older
  • Counting on the traditional Christmas gifts of socks and underwear
  • Watching her crochet
  • Watching wrestling at her house on Sunday afternoons
  • Knowing that she loved my sister and me to death!!

10 comments:

Kelly said...

I am so sorry! I'll be praying for you and your family!

Kristy said...

I'm am saddened for your loss. I too remember visiting with you Nana and taking those trips to the bowling alley. Please send my condolences to your dad. Call me and let me know about the services.

Anonymous said...

I am so terribly sorry about your Nana! Always cherish your memories and you will have those to tell Ella oneday! I will be praying for you! Love you!
-Alaina

Anonymous said...

I'll be praying for your family.
Love,
Charlene

Amanda-The Family News! said...

Heather - I am sorry for your loss. my thoughts are with you.
Amanda

trish said...

I'm so sorry to hear about your loss. Please know that I love you and that I am praying for you and your family!!!!!!

trish said...

Philippians 4: 13

The strength to resist the night
The strength to endure the day
The strength to keep righteous paths in sight
The strength to take them without delay

The strength to find a purpose in life
The strength to find the truths it brings
The strength to kick away from strife
The strength to stabalize the rock it clings

The strength to light a friend’s day up
The strength to resist wrathful foes
The strength to fill a stranger’s dry cup
The strength to shun sin when it opposed

The strength to feel a injured man’s pain
The strength to hold a reject’s hand
The strength to act against any gain
The strength to love without demand

The strength to understand that our King
Has blessed us with more than we can contain
Therefore regardless what time may bring
The strength will continue to reign


I LOVE YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

When I think of Nana, I remember eating macaroni and cheese at her house. And I remember her eating potatoes!! (right?)
She loved me like I was one of her own.
You are right, she is so much better off with Jesus. We have to take comfort and find peace in that.
Love you bunches,
Sabrina

Anonymous said...

I told Josh last night i said we use to always go there for Sunday lunch. I told him how we spent the night and said she was part of the reason you and I are so paranoid. She had a scanner and would tell us that was happening close to here! She was a special lady.
love ya
kjb

Anonymous said...

What wonderful memories you have of your Nana! We'll keep you and your family in our thoughts and prayers.
Love,
Teresa