I would have to say Carson definitely melted my heart tonight, not only as his mother, but as a teacher! He has really taking a liking to the Junie B. Jones series of books thanks to Miss Alaina at his school. We have recently purchased the audio recordings, so that we can listen to them in the car as well. He came into my room tonight and told me he wanted to write a new Junie B. Jones book for Miss Alaina to read. So, for about an hour, we sat down together at the computer and began the manuscript. I have scripted the book in his own words. As hard as it was for the teacher in me to stand back and not offer advice, I did quite well! I sit in awe at the revision skills that he has as a five year old. He constantly wanted to make changes as I read aloud, even if it involved just changing numbers. For anyone who knows our family well, this book is somewhat a reflection of our lives lately. You will notice that he has woven true-to-his-life facts and circumstances into the life of Junie B. Jones. I hope you enjoy...
Junie B. Jones and Sick Ollie
Chapter One
Ollie’s Problem
My name is Junie B. Jones, and I am in 5 year old kindergarten. I have a new brother. He is not the spit-up smelly kind. He is the clean kind. My mother is the one that takes care of him. My dad works all the time. Then he comes home and helps Mother with the baby brother.
One day while I was at kindergarten I saw my favorite thing of all. We were going to play with chalk. Then that stupid, smelly bus came, and then I got chocolate milk poured on my head and all the kids laughed.
And then the greatest thing happened! I was at home, and I was off the stupid, smelly bus.
But then my mama called me, “Junie B. Jones, your brother lost his pacifier.” And then he screamed and screamed. But he couldn’t hold his breath. I got a flashlight and I shined it all over the place. And then I shined it under the rocking chair! I found the pacifier! I called Mother. I said, “Mother, I found the pacifier! It was under the rocking chair!” I put the pacifier in his mouth, and he stopped crying.
The next day I went back on the stupid, smelly bus, and Jim did a cuckoo sign at me. And then my bestest friend Grace did a cuckoo face at Jim. Jim made a fist at her. Then Lucille said, “Mr. Woo, they’re fighting.”
Then Mr. Woo said, “Stop fighting and get a seat!”
(So that’s chapter one.)
Chapter Two
Sick Ollie
One day Ollie got sick. Ollie threw up, and he couldn’t crawl all the way to the bathroom. And then I had to go to the bathroom, and I stepped in it. “Oooo!!!! Mother, Ollie threw up!” I shouted.
Then they took him to the doctor. And the doctor said, “He must have a stomach virus!” Then he had to take antibiotics.
And then when he got through, he started throwing up again. And then they had to take him to the hospital instead of the doctor. Dr. Blake said that he had to take on about three antibiotics and an IV. An IV is a big machine like a breathing treatment, but you have to put it in your stomach. It is medicine.
Ollie took all the medicine, but he still threw up. And now he had to take about five antibiotics and ten IVs. And then Ollie had to be better. He got to come home from Mary Blacks Hospital. But then, he didn’t throw up, he spitted up.
And then the greatest thing happened! Dad came home. And then Ollie went to Dad, and Dad hugged him. And then he put him down. They went crawling for a race, and Dad didn’t win! Ollie winned!
And then I went racing with them. When I was crawling, I had a loose tooth. I crunched it, and it came out.
And then I put it in my girl Captain Tooth. Then I got five dollars. Then I went to the grocery store, and I bought a girl Mutant Ninja Turtle, and I got a little toy for Ollie. I gave it to Ollie when we got back. I gave Ollie a toy ‘cause he was sick. And he hugged me.
(That’s Chapter Two. Do you want to take a break?)
Sunday, January 20, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



9 comments:
Great story Car!! What a great imagination! I love it!!! :)
Woah, and he's only 5?? He's going to be an amazing writer!
And I love the new header and colors!
I love the story! I remember when Hayden and Lee Anna were little and we would listen to books on tape on our way to school!
Love the new look on your page!
Enjoy your day at home tomorrow!
Teresa
I love the story! He has a great imagination! I can't wait for chapter 3.
Teresa, I can't wait to share this with Alaina and let her know how much she has inspired him!!!! :)
Alaina will be so excited!! I'm glad that she gets to be a part of Carson's day!!
Teresa
I am loving this little book, you have to get it published. :) I think it's great that Carson even asked to do it.
My favorite part is the beginning. My mom takes care of him. My daddy works all the time.
Wonder where that came from? Hilarious!!
Pretty good job Carson!!!
Sabrina
Carson, you are a great story teller. Can't wait to see what happens next.
Post a Comment