Saturday, April 26, 2008

A Screetching Halt...



Life as I knew it and had unknowingly taken for granted took a dramatic CHANGE last Saturday night. I only have a few minutes to post since Sara is only visiting for a short while. To make the long story short, I was leaving Target on Saturday night when a car ran a redlight and hit me at a high rate of speed. Praise God that I was alone and that He protected those two small angels I typically carry around. I was rushed to the hospital, given emergency surgery to remove a ruptured spleen, and admitted to ICU. I had a pretty bruised up body and a fractured pelvis. I spent a couple of days in ICU before being moved to a regular room. I have grown physically emotionally, spiritually, and mentally over the past week.

I am completely HUMBLED at all of the LOVE, SUPPORT, and ENCOURAGEMENT that I have received. My emotions completely overwhelm me just at the thought of the tiniest acts of kindness I have received. I promise every single prayer, hug, smile, word of encouragement, massage, bouquet of flowers, card, letters, banner, snack, willingness to keep my two children, calls, rubbing of my hairy legs, moving of my catheter, assistance with washing my hair with waterless shampoo, text messages, visits, etc. will NEVER be forgotten!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

As I sit here in this hospital bed exactly one week later questioning "why me?" and praising God at the same time for MY LIFE, I must close this post as my friends do actually still have lives and other engagements! I ask that you continue to pray for my two children as they are now adjusting to a much different life with their mommy, for my husband as he continues to be my ROCK, for my parents as they now know what it's like to be full-time parents again, for my sister who is truly my best friend, for my in-laws who accept me as their own, for my friends as they continue to support me, for my remaining family members who are willinging to do anything to help, and for my precious forty or so children who are now adjusting to life with a new teacher!!!!!!!!!

I promise I have lots of pictures to post very soon!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

8 comments:

Kelly said...

I'm crying right now as I read this! I have been praying for you and your whole family since I heard what happened. God was with you and is still with you every step (even slow ones) along the way. Keep your head up and try to stay positive. Rest and allow God to heal your body, and allow others to take over all other worries. There are so many people who love you and will be here for you and your family, me inculded!!!

The Pettigrew's said...

Heather I am so glad that you are feeling well enough to post. I am glad that you are feeling up to it. I am amazed at your family and your friends who have written such beautiful post about you. I enjoy our blog friendship and hope you keep up your rough road to recovery. I have been braying for you and your children. Keep your chin up and just keep going...your angels are your strength along with God and your wonderful husband and family! Get well soon.

Jessica said...

First, I know if you can be in the hospital and still update your blog, then I can surely find the time to update mine!!! I miss having you to remind me to update!!

Second, I am so so so so glad that you are okay. You are doing so well in that hospital. I know sometimes it may be hard to see that, but you are progressing each and every day. It was great to be able to talk with you yesterday and have normal conversations. I get so excited after I leave your room each day to see how much better you are doing!! You are strong, Heather, strong and independent so I know that this little change in your life will not stop you from doing anything. Plus you have tons of family and friends to help you. I have said it over and over and texted it to Brian the minute I found out about your accident, but now I will type it in your blog as written proof-if you need anything at all, let me know. I love you, friend!!!!

Rich Cutter said...

Glad you finally got to post on your blog. I have seen HUGE progress in you in the last week. It is unbelievable what God has done already. I cannot wait to see what does for you in the future. Love ya girl! Call me anytime you want your legs rubbed!!

Anonymous said...

OH my word...I published my last coment with my brother logged in..and no he did not rub your legs, lol...so making sure eveyone knows it was my comment...

Lydia said...

I'm glad your are doing better and know that you and your family are in my prayers!
Lydia

Elizabeth said...

I just want to remind you how much I love you! :) I am here for anything you need and I will be by your side the entire time while you recover!!! Remember that you are STRONG and with God, you can do anything!!

trish said...

I LOVE MY BFF!!! Stay strong & keep your head up girly!!! I KNOW for a FACT that this will NOT stop you from doing what you enjoy doing!!! You are a very strong independent woman who lets nothing bring her down!!! God has a plan for you and He is right by your side ALL the time!!! I LOVE YOU MRS. CASSiDY!!! =)


ps, can't wait to start our bets again! hehehe! :)