Saturday, July 10, 2010

A Day of Milestones!

Yesterday, we finally made it for Ella's thre- year- old well child visit... only four months late.  I refuse to take Carson or Ella to the doctor for well child visits during cold/flu season.  I learned that lesson quickly with Carson.  I can remember numerous times making two visits to the doctor within a week because some germs decided to come home with us and were begging to make their way back to their home.  Ella was an ANGEL during the entire visit.  A three-year-old visit is much different than a well-baby check-up.  Ella took her shoes off to weigh, stood to have her height checked, and had her blood pressure checked.  Her weight is finally in the 51st percentile, but her height continues to linger in the 30th percentile. Everything looks great with her development!  Dr. Surka did make it very clear, however, that it was time to say goodbye to our pappies.  The addiction to the pappies that Ella has developed in recent months was about to abruptly come to an end.  He talked to her and little about it, but stressed to me the importance of taking them away!  Our visit ended with THREE shots, or pinches, as Ella calls them.  We purposely delayed immunizations with Ella, and because of that, we are behind schedule.  Ella was an angel through the "pinches".  She only shed a few tears after the second one.  I had a special treat waiting for her as soon as they were all over.  As soon as she saw her fruity snack treat, she dried the tears right up.

Ella's special treat for being such a BIG girl at the doctor was a trip to the nail salon for her first pedicure with Mommy... well a semi-pedicure.  She chose "lellow" of course with polka dots.  She was such a still little girl, and enjoyed every second of the pampering.  I even let her get her nails painted despite the fact that by today at least half of her nails are paintless.  Lesson learned there... No more paid manicures until a lot older! :)

Mommy quickly took Dr. Surka's advice and decided to invite the Pappy Fairy to visit our house last night.  I truly did not realize how hard this decision was going to be on me.  As soon as we got home from the salon, we gathered all of her pappies up and prepared for their departure.  Ella placed her pappies in a clear box she found and helped me wrap them for the Pappy Fairy.  She first placed the box on the fireplace, but quickly moved it to her bedroom.  I instantly thought that was a scheme to sneak and open it when she felt the urge to have her pappies back.  I cannot remember the number of times I have heard, "Mommy, I am a big girl now.  I don't need my pappies anymore!" just to have her mind changed within minutes.   She successfully made it the rest of the afternoon and through dinner without pappies.  On the way home from dinner, she said that she wanted her pappies.  Great!  It was going to be a long night, or so I thought.  Napless, she can be quite difficult at night especially when she reaches extreme exhaustion.  This was a napless and jam-packed day.  To my amazement, bedtime was a breeze.  She only requested some gum in the bed, which of course is a definite no-no.  Throughout the night, I could feel her reaching around in the bed for her pappies, but never asked for or started crying for them.  She woke up bright and early to find the Pappy Fairy did visit our house!  Her reaction to what she saw in her room was full of much more excitement than Santa's visit gets.  Ella was proud of this accomplishment.   The Pappy Fairy took the box of pappies to Dr. Surka and left behind a special baby doll, three packs of gum, and a trail of her fairy dust.  Ella is so proud of her new baby.  She has carried her around all day, took her to Dollar Tree and pushed her in a stroller, and carried her for our nightly walk.  I have to admit, that I DID have a much harder time with this milestone than Ella has had.  My eyes have filled with tears with each, "I gave my pappies up" I have heard today.  As I sit and type, Ella is laying right beside me, and all she has asked for is some "ritos" she saw Brother eating.  :)

Ella is truly an angel and I do not see how it is possible to LOVE her more than I do now!!  She never ceases to AMAZE me.  From not budging an inch for TWO dentist visits which included shots and fillings... to attending her first VBS and not being afraid to leave Mommy... to walking down the aisle as Flower Girl in Aunt Donna's wedding...to only shedding a few tears for THREE "pinches" at the doctor... to giving up her pappies so willingly - - - - I could not be prouder!  

1 comment:

Kristy said...

These little girls out ours!!!! Heck I was 30 before I ever had a pedicure. Glad the Pappy Fairy visited and left such great prizes.